On behalf of the Minister of Education, Chairman of Umm al-Qura University Council, the UQU President, Dr. Bakri bin M’atooq Assas, headed the 3rd session of the University Council, held on Sunday, Jumada Al-Thani 2, 1439H at 10:00 AM. Dr. Assas opened the session by saying: “Praise be to Allah, and peace and blessings be upon Prophet Muhammad. On behalf of the Minister of Education, Chairman of the University Council, it is my pleasure to open the 3rd session of the council for the academic year 1438/1439H. On this occasion, I would like to welcome all attendees: the UQU vice presidents, and Deans of the University’s colleges, institutes and supporting deanships, as well as the Secretary-general of the Temporary Committee, acting as the Higher Education Council, Dr. Muhammad A. al-Saleh. Welcome!. May Allah guide us all to whatever he likes and pleases,! And may He shower his choicest blessings upon our beloved Prophet and his family and companions. And thanks be to Allah.”
The council discussed several topics on the agenda of the 2nd session including:
– A number of 9 graduate students (MSc and Ph.D.) were approved to have a further opportunity as per the recommendation of the councils of the Deanship of Scientific Research.
– To approve hiring and re-hiring of a number of 32 retired teaching staff
– To consider recommendations of the scientific council on approving early retirement and resignation requests of a number of teaching staff and persons of similar status.
– To approve request of two of the university lecturers to be transferred to other universities.
– To Approve request for appointing of one faculty member to be member in the councils of the Institute of Arabic Language for Non-Native Speakers for two years.
– To approve secondment and lending of a number of 3 teaching staff to work outside the university.
– To approve request of establishing Chair of Quranic Guidance as per the recommendation of the Council of the Deanship of Scientific Research
– To study and discuss numbers of students to be admitted to graduate studies programs in the university and its branch in Al-Qunfudhah for the coming academic year 1439/1440 H
– To approve request of amending the University Council Resolution no. 10, taken in the 1st Session, dated Safar 5, 1439H, relating to university calendar for the academic year 1438/1439 H to amend the second semester regarding course withdrawal and study suspension.
– To approve request of launching PhD Program in Sport Management submitted by the Department of Physical Education, College of Education
– To approve request of offering summer semester of the current academic year 1438/1439 H;
– To approve request of the recommendation of the scientific council no. 16, taken in the 8th session dated Rabi Al-Thani 17, 1439 H regarding approval of nominating Holy Quran Radio for King Faisal Award in serving Islam and Muslims.
Besides, several academic, administrative and financial topics were discussed, and the Council took proper decisions thereupon, as stated by the Secretary General of the Council Dr. Thamir bin Hamdan Al-Harbi.